Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Food Labeling Tricks

It's been awhile since something really ticked me off, but a couple of recent trips to the supermarket set a new fire on my fingertips and I had to let my readers know about this little, deceptive food labeling trick.  I went to two different supermarkets last week, and purchased a jar of mayonnaise at each one.  I just looked more closely at the labels on each jar, and I noticed that one is labeled "light" and the other is labeled "lite."  Same thing, one might think???  Not so mes amigos.  When I looked at the nutrition facts labels, I discovered that the "light" mayonnaise has 7% fat and 45 calories per serving, while the "lite" mayonnaise has 1% fat and 25 calories per serving.

So, guess what I'm going to do?  I'm gonna be writing some letters to ask the company that labels their mayo as "light" why they are attempting to deceive their customers.  I'm sure the response I will get from them will be that "light" means that it isn't dark, and they'll send me coupons to get a per cent off more of their deceitfully labeled products.

I guess "buyer beware" is applicable everywhere you go.

Spectrum Lite Canola Mayonnaise Eggless ( 12x16 OZ) ( Value Bulk Multi-pack)

Spectrum Lite Canola Mayonnaise Eggless( Value Bulk Multi-pack)

No comments:

Post a Comment